Women over 40 are at greater risk of developing high blood pressure than men, but most can decrease their chances by changing their lifestyle.
Exercise daily, eat the right foods and lose weight to reduce stress on your body.
Try these five simple ways that women over 40 can lower high blood pressure naturally.
These healthy living changes can help you relax, sleep better and decrease your risk of developing life-threatening complications.
Keep reading to learn how women over 40 can naturally treat high blood pressure.
5 ways to decrease high blood pressure
1. Perform relaxation exercises- Relaxation is one of the most effective ways that women over 40 can lower their hypertension risk. Relaxation exercises lower cortisol levels and reduce the risk of stress-related cardiovascular disease. Try guided imagery, yoga, meditation or progressive muscle relaxation to help lower blood pressure naturally.
2. Exercise daily- Exercise is one of the best ways that women over 40 can decrease high blood pressure by increasing heart health and lowering their stress levels. Aim for at least 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise, such as walking, swimming or biking. If time is a barrier, a 10 minute jump rope workout is equivalent to a 30 minute jog. Start slowly with 10 to 15 minutes a day and work up to more time after a couple weeks.
3. Quit smoking- Smoking is one of the worst habits that women over 40 can have if they want to decrease their chances of hypertension. Smoking causes irreversible damage to the body, including the blood vessels and heart. Quitting smoking will lower your risk for high blood pressure in just one month if you can quit for good.
4. Eat healthy foods- A diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and low-fat dairy is one of the best ways that women over 40 can reduce their risk of hypertension. When you eat healthy, you give your body the vitamins and minerals it needs to keep your heart healthy.
5. Lose weight- If you are overweight or obese, losing just 10 percent of your total body mass will do wonders for your blood pressure. This is because being overweight puts added stress on the body and increases fluid retention, which can raise your blood pressure levels.
If you are prescribed medication, take them as prescribed while working on some of the methods mentioned above. Make sure that you see your doctor regularly even if using alternative methods.
Which methods do you plan to try?
Need a bit of motivation? Dare to be honest and vulnerable with yourself in this 21 Day Challenge. Set a timer for 10 minutes and reflect: what do you want? What is holding you back? This process will jumpstart your intentions and take you on a journey of self-love, acceptance, healing, and change. Text GOALS to 718-504-2192 or http://bit.ly/goalsmif Follow Us: Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/makeitfunnyc LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bernadette-henry-977b7621/ Twitter: https://twitter.com/makeitfunnyc Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bernadettethenry Website: http://www.makeitfunnyc.com Tiktok: https://www.tiktok.com/@bernadettethenryshow? Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4o2OX34kD3825qJHqi4yTg AFFILIATE PROGRAMS: This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links Instacart: Get your groceries and essentials delivered in as fast as 1 hour with Instacart. Free delivery on your first order of $10+ or more. Terms apply. https://instacart.oloiyb.net/jWmZge Get leads for your business daily: http://paypal.me/makeitfunnyc Support the blog (http://paypal.me/makeitfunnyc)