You're carrying around excess weight and you want to lose it. You've been working hard, eating right and exercising, but the scale refuses to budge. You feel like you're doing everything right, so what gives? Here are 10 possible reasons you may not be losing weight.
1. You're eating the wrong foods. Just because a food is healthy doesn't mean it won't contribute to weight gain. Eating too many healthy fats, such as avocados and nuts, can add inches to your waistline. And though you might think that cutting out carbs is the key to weight loss success, if you're not including healthy sources of carbohydrates, such as whole grains and fruits, you could be slowing down your metabolism.
2. You're doing the wrong exercise. If your goal is to lose weight, you need to focus on exercises that will burn more calories than you're taking in. So, while a leisurely walk may be good for your health, it's not going to help you shed those unwanted pounds. Instead, try interval training or other types of activities that will get your heart rate up and help you burn more calories.
3. You may have a thyroid problem. An underactive thyroid can make it difficult to lose weight, even if you're eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly. If you suspect you may have a thyroid problem, talk to your doctor about getting a blood test to check your hormone levels.
4. You may have a hormone imbalance. Hormones play a big role in regulating appetite and metabolism, so it's not surprising that an imbalance can lead to weight gain. If you suspect your hormones are out of whack, talk to your doctor about getting a blood test to check your levels of estrogen, testosterone, and other hormones.
5. Side effects from prescription medication. Some medications can cause weight gain as a side effect. If you've started taking a new medication and noticed an uptick on the scale, talk to your doctor about alternative options that don't have this side effect.
6. Not getting enough sleep. When you don't get enough sleep, your body produces more of the hormone ghrelin, which stimulates appetite. In addition, not getting enough shut-eye can cause cravings for sugary or high-fat foods due to an increase in hunger hormones. aim for seven to eight hours of sleep per night to keep your hunger hormones in check.
7. Menopause. As women approach menopause, they may start to notice weight gain due to hormonal changes . If menopause is causing unwanted weight gain , there are treatments available that can help. Talk to your doctor about options such as hormone replacement therapy .
8. You're eating your emotions . When we're stressed, we often turn to food for comfort. This can lead to overeating — and weight gain. If emotional eating is sabotaging your weight - loss efforts , talk to a therapist or counselor who can help you develop healthy coping mechanisms .
9. You're eating too many " healthy " foods . Just because a food is healthy doesn't mean it
won't contribute to weight gain. For example , juices and smoothies are often packed with sugar , which can lead to weight gain if consumed in excess. And though yogurt is a good source of protein , some varieties are also high in sugar — so be sure to read nutrition labels carefully before buying .
10. You're stressed. When we're stressed, our bodies produce more of the hormone cortisol, which has been linked to increased appetite and abdominal fat storage. If stress is triggering unwanted cravings, try relaxation techniques such as meditation or yoga. You can also talk to a therapist or counselor who can help you manage stress in a healthy way. Being overweight or obese comes with serious health risks, but shedding those extra pounds isn't always easy . If you've been trying unsuccessfully to lose weight, one (or more) of these 10 factors could be standing in your way. By understanding the reasons why you may not be losing weight, you can make tweaks to your lifestyle and finally start seeing results!
Need some help? Try the Body Melt Detox
This detox Cleanses the body of buildup and toxins and resets the body’s system preparing it for the BodyMelt program. This comprehensive formula contains 14 herbal extracts renowned for their ability to cleanse and detoxify the body’s systems gently yet effectively.